What's New Free Games Free Tour Sign Up Members Area Message Board Links

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

ENVIRONMENT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Alley Baggett Forum -> AlleyBaggett.net Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rufus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like these companies building ther transmission lines to bring the wind energy from the local plains to the East Coast might be a good investment.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20090830/NEWS/908300338

Sioux Falls-based NorthWestern Energy has signed on to help develop a seven-state transmission "superhighway" to get wind power from rural states to urban markets.

Michigan-based ITC earlier this year announced its intention to build the $12 billion superhighway. The NorthWestern partnership is one of several that ITC anticipates signing in support of the 3,000-mile, 765 kilovolt electrical system - a system that's expected to surge with up to 12,000 megawatts of renewable energy from the upper Midwest to load centers in central Midwest and mid-Atlantic regions of the U.S.

Just one megawatt of generated power can supply about 300 homes; the Green Power Express promises to deliver wind-generated electricity to 3.6 million homes.

Recently, NorthWestern joined Pewaukee, Wis.-based American Transmission, Chicago's Exelon, MidAmerican Energy Holdings of Des Moines and American Electric Power of Columbus, Ohio, to study the economics of building its own high-voltage transmission lines to carry renewable energy to eastern markets.

"NorthWestern wants to support renewable resources with transmission," NorthWestern spokeswoman Claudia Rapkoch said. "We want to be part of a plan - or plans - to help solve this energy issue."

Because the Green Power Express originates in the Midwest, ITC officials have asked the Midwest Independent Transmission System Operators (MISO), which oversees operations of the electrical grid in the region, for its review. An opinion is expected later this year.
NorthWestern supplies electricity and natural gas in the Upper Midwest and Northwest, serving about 656,000 customers in Montana, South Dakota and Nebraska.

In July, ITC signed a similar strategic agreement with MDU Resources Group in Bismarck, N.D.
mt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rufus wrote:
mt wrote:
AlleyBaggett wrote:
You're so funny MT!! When you want your chickens to produce eggs that you would want to eat....then you shouldn't have the male roosters. The females alone produce the eggs you would want to eat....therefor no cockadoodaling Very Happy

I would LOVE to have a chicken or two!!!! and they would be my pets!

Very Happy

The sad part about businesses who sell bamboo fabric products is that SOME don't or didn't know that it wasn't a good product. They were suckers just like us. Sad

It's good to know the truth though!! Again, Thank GOODNESS for the internet!!!!

Don't the hens have to fornicated by the roosters so that the little tadpoles can swim to the eggs and be protein-enriched.

Having raised several hundreds of chickensd in my olife-time - I can tell you with certainty - NO - there is no copulation necessary for hens to lay egs. They will just be infertile eggs (won't ever hatch into chicks) and entirely edible.

haha...I just pictured you with pet chickens...even n overalls, you look hot....hmmm....how about doing a shoot in overalls like a Texan country gurrlll. Very Happy

I didn't know that. I thought the birds and the bees had to get together to get eggs. Now Alley's message makes sense.....an open mouth with always get a shoe that fits. Laughing
mt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlleyBaggett wrote:
Hey, by the way..... That natural non toxic ant control spray I was talking about a couple of posts ago, works really well!!

I highly recommend it to you!

Very Happy

I'll give it a shot. They just come out from underneath the concrete in the garage whenever it gets wet. angry
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are interested, I just found the perfect travel coffee mug. It is BPA free, double walled stainless steel, vacuum sealed and cool looking too.

The vacuum seal....makes it 100% leak proof.

I LOVE IT!!!!!

The double wall....keeps my hands normal feeling while my coffee stays super hot.....longer.

This mug is by Contigo. Go here to get more info and to purchase one:

http://www.gocontigo.com

Their travel mug is called the AutoSeal.

I LOVE IT!
Very Happy
Now, I don't have to feel guilty every time I'm on the go and I want coffee. I've either had to use wax lined paper products that can't be recycled or use styrofoam cups that are bad for the planet and very bad for my health too. These cheap disposables would always make my coffee spill too.

YAY!

AlleyBaggett.Net - The Official Site
http://www.alleybaggett.net
Dom77

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kinda environmental issue well for our bodies Smile

In our modern lifestyle we absorb, digest or get in contact more and more with heavy metals like arsenic, cadmium, lead, mercury etc...

Chlorella is a green algae mostly grown and popular in japan that removes heavy metals from the body by binding to them. Its then excreted by the body. The japanese used this when the nuclear bombs were dropped on them for radiation therapy. Its a slow process which may take 3-6months to get your heavy metal toxicity down to safe levels. Its cheaper then multiple 3hrs sessions that cost 100 bucks at clinic to do this via IV drip which also take out vitamins/minerals in your body. Then you get another IV drip to replace vitamins. So not my idea of fun!

This is a cheaper alternative if you think your suffering from heavy metal excess in your body. Too much heavy metals can cause Memory loss, increased allergic reactions, high blood pressure, depression, mood swings, irritability, poor concentration, aggressive behavior, sleep disabilities, fatigue, speech disorders, high blood pressure, cholesterol, triglycerides, vascular occlusion, neuropathy, autoimmune diseases, and chronic fatigue are just some of the many conditions resulting from exposure to toxins.

Best to take it in powder form like Yaeyama Chlorella like from the link.

http://www.iherb.com/Chlorella

Its in the same catergory of Superfoods from nature like Colostrum. As usual nature finds a way to help us Smile

Dom

http://twitter.com/Dom77mu
mt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A different perspective on global warming and it's consequences. What will happen when food and resources starts getting scarce. it's a 3-part podcast.

I didn't realize we used huge aquifers for farming in the western states.

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/features/climate-wars/
chuck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject: Environment/ begin with rainwater Reply with quote

Recent month of rain led to using the water in buckets catching it off the roof. I figure WTH, it must be better than the iron water from my well.

Long-term use of rainwater can begin. In in time, I'll use a filter that will last much longer then the brita filters I use for my well water. They get clogged with iron. The rain water is already nearly pure, so water filter does not require the same performance.

Alley, find the optimal, long-lasting rain water filter.

-C
mt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the TED talk from Mr Agassi.

I hope this takes off big time. Why people continue to debate economy vs survival is beyond me. It's the first message that has given me hope about our future.

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2009/11/shai-agassi-the-next-bill-gates-a-bold-plan-for-the-mass-adoption-of-electric-cars.html
andy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good lord, alley! you are smoking hot and smart and an environmentalist too? NATURE GODDESS!!! i sense many possibilities for photoshoots themed along the lines of trancendent beauty of nature manifest in the perfect female human form within nature. the desert shoot that you froze your ass off to achieve certainly follows that theme.

personally, i think we need to learn respect for primitive living and enjoying the primitive, magical pleasures of life. one of my greatest heroes is tom brown jr. known as "the tracker", who wrote "the tracker" and many other books about native american ways and learning to live harmoniously within nature. he can do almost supernatural things in his element of wilderness tracking and survival, and runs a surv ival school in new jersey.

i agree with him when he says that modern humans have become alien to the wilderness, and cannot survive in the wilderness past the point when their supplies from the modern world run out, like a scuba diver must surface when their oxygen tank runs out. to be close to nature and connected to the rythms and spiritual dimensions of nature, one must learn to not only find what one needs to survive in nature and what to avoid to be safe...and maybe most importantly, to learn to be utterly content and fulfilled with only the simple, primitive basic survival needs that nature can afford to share with us without being damaged itself.

when i think about the fact that there are only a few thousand tigers living in the wild, i am astonished by humanity's destructive, gluttonous ignorance. i only wish i had the power to save them.

i love you, alley, you nature godess.
andy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my paintings...i hope you do a photoshoot like this, nature goddess..
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Andy, for your interesting point of view. I will look for that book and take a look at it. It's true Native American Indians had so much respect for the land! We could learn so much from them.

SvenKleinhans

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:11 am    Post subject: Desertec Reply with quote

Hi Alley,

to save the world another interesting project called "Desertec":

http://www.desertec.org/

Smile
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOOD INC is now available at Best Buy.

YOU HAVE TO GET IT!

It discusses the truth about our American food...found in the grocery store.

Let me know what you think.....after.

j3a

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alley, i found this on an iPhone forum, & thought it might interest you Wink

Charge Your iPhone... With a Cotton Ball?

For several months, we've covered worthwhile developments in the world of prospective solar-powered iPhone chargers. Incredible but true, a renewable, green resource may still prove the ultimate charging mechanism for our mobile gadgets like the iPhone and iPod. The unusual resource in question? A wad of cotton.

Scientists are reporting the development of cotton threads capable of conducting electricity as efficiently and safely as metal wire. The potential benefits, of course, are plentiful, like the ability to charge mobile devices via the cotton-based clothing we wear. I know, I know, it sounds ridiculous. But a team of researchers captained by Cornell University Assistant Professor Juan Hinestroza say cotton can conduct electricity and the possible impact of the discovery could be monumental.

In an interview with UPI, Hinestroza said:

"We can definitively have sections of a traditional cotton fabric becoming conductive, hence a great myriad of applications can be achieved. Previous technologies have achieved conductivity, but the resulting fiber becomes rigid and heavy. Our new techniques make our yarns friendly to further processing, such as weaving, sewing and knitting."

So new is the development that its virtually impossible to fathom or visualize how this technological advancement can (or will) be manifested into affordable consumer products in the near future. But this weekend, the above discovery will be on live display at the annual Cornell Design League Fashion Show in Ithaca, N.Y. As it stands, a "solar-powered" dress showing off the technology will be unveiled.
AlleyBaggett
Official Model

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Very interesting!

Thanks for sharing...

Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Alley Baggett Forum -> AlleyBaggett.net Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: