What's New Free Games Free Tour Sign Up Members Area Message Board Links

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

Board games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General Forum -> General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Board games Reply with quote

Anyone else here like to play board games?
I'm a huge fan of them. There's just something really nice about moving the pieces around a board, and I don't get from playing a video game.

I especially love co-operative games, and have introduced several others to board games as well. There are also several games I'd happily play by myself, especially if I can record some statistics for it.

So what do you play and recommend?

Constance Mayflower's diary

The Mayflower Diaries
Silvador
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy playing Chess. Sadly, I have no one to play it with. :c

Used to play Monopoly with my mum a lot, but it got kinda stale because I'd always win.

Board games are fun. I like them. Just don't really have anyone to play them with :/

Fursonas: http://tinyurl.com/yzcsyug
Jerin Nekros

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Firefly Board Game is good. Especially if you are a fan of the series.
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silvador wrote:

Board games are fun. I like them. Just don't really have anyone to play them with :/

That's sad. There are some games that also work well solo, but if you're never going to play them with anyone else, you'd probably be better off with video games.

Jerin Nekros wrote:
The Firefly Board Game is good. Especially if you are a fan of the series.

I've heard some good things about it. Never really watched the series, though Confused

The Mayflower Diaries
Jerin Nekros

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symphony wrote:

I've heard some good things about it. Never really watched the series, though Confused

Really? I'd highly recommend it. It's a sci-fi western. Start with the second episode though, unless you're familiar with how Joss Whedon works.
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(( Symphony,

If you enjoy board games with lots of fiddly bits, you should check out stuff from Fantasy Flight Games. They love their cards, chits, dice, tokens, markers, bits, pieces, and boards. They also make some enjoyable games. I've done their Ark ham and Runequest, amongst others. ))
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline wrote:
(( Symphony,

If you enjoy board games with lots of fiddly bits, you should check out stuff from Fantasy Flight Games. They love their cards, chits, dice, tokens, markers, bits, pieces, and boards. They also make some enjoyable games. I've done their Ark ham and Runequest, amongst others. ))

I love Arkham Horror, and pretty much everything else about the Cthulhu Mythos. I have several expansions for it, and it's a game I've actually had a lot of fun introducing others to. I also have Eldritch Horror, and currently I'm having fun with Elder Sign. Smile

The Mayflower Diaries
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is looking for a co-operative game they can easily introduce to their family or friends, I'd recommend Pandemic. It's easy to learn, and the theme tends to appeal to most people. You have to travel around the world and cure diseases, and it's necessary for people to work together. There are some expansions for it too, which really improve the replay value and add a lot of variation to the game.

The Mayflower Diaries
Jerin Nekros

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Symphony wrote:
If someone is looking for a co-operative game they can easily introduce to their family or friends, I'd recommend Pandemic. It's easy to learn, and the theme tends to appeal to most people. You have to travel around the world and cure diseases, and it's necessary for people to work together. There are some expansions for it too, which really improve the replay value and add a lot of variation to the game.

Pandemic is fun, but extremely difficult To actually win.
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerin Nekros wrote:

Pandemic is fun, but extremely difficult To actually win.

Co-operative games shouldn't be too easy. Then they'd become boring. I think that Pandemic has enough ways to adjust the difficulty, that it can be played by and enjoyed by most people. Smile

Try Ghost Stories for an extremely difficult game to win Very Happy

The Mayflower Diaries
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(( Symphony et al,

Have any of you tried "San Juan" or "Puerto Rico"? If you like either of those, "Race for the Galaxy" you might enjoy as well. Though... "Race" gets a bit better balanced with a couple of the expansions.

Overall, I like co-op games, where you play against the board... which, for me, means Arkham. The basic boxed set isn't too hard, once you get the hang of it... but start adding on the add-ons, and it ratchets up the crazy and insanity via a natural-log scale. It's maddeningly psychotic! ))
Rune174
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing a game involving zombies once at college a couple years back. Pretty fun if I do say so myself

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was playing Arkham Horror recently. Rather enjoyed it.
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline wrote:

Have any of you tried "San Juan" or "Puerto Rico"? If you like either of those, "Race for the Galaxy" you might enjoy as well. Though... "Race" gets a bit better balanced with a couple of the expansions.

I've never tried any of those. I've considered Race for the Galaxy, but honestly wasn't sure if I would get it played.

Caroline wrote:

Overall, I like co-op games, where you play against the board... which, for me, means Arkham. The basic boxed set isn't too hard, once you get the hang of it... but start adding on the add-ons, and it ratchets up the crazy and insanity via a natural-log scale. It's maddeningly psychotic! ))

Arkham Horror doesn't really feel like a bord game to me. It's really more of a crazy adventure with some bord gaming and RPG elements. That's a big part of what I love about it. I have several expansions for it, and I really love the atmosphere and the characters, as well as the fact that I never quite know what's going to happen in a game.
I use Elder Sign as a sort of substitute for it, as I can easily set it up and play a couple of quick games by myself. It's also easier to get others to play with you as well. Of course, it doesn't give you the awesome experience that Arkham Horror does, but it's nice to play a game with the same characters and Ancient Ones.

Rune174 wrote:
I remember playing a game involving zombies once at college a couple years back. Pretty fun if I do say so myself

Do you remember which one, or some details about it. I'm a big fan of zombies too Smile

The Mayflower Diaries
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(( Symphony,

Have you tried "Last Night on Earth" or "Zombies?" LNoE is more co-op than Zombies tends to be... but both are pretty good fun too. Both play up the serious-Zombie and hammy-Zombie genre in their games. I do enjoy LNoE a bit more, though.

Zombies has a ton of mini and full expansions. LNoE has two... one of which is more of a reboot than an expansion. ))
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline wrote:
(( Symphony,

Have you tried "Last Night on Earth" or "Zombies?" LNoE is more co-op than Zombies tends to be... but both are pretty good fun too. Both play up the serious-Zombie and hammy-Zombie genre in their games. I do enjoy LNoE a bit more, though.

Zombies has a ton of mini and full expansions. LNoE has two... one of which is more of a reboot than an expansion. ))

I own "Last Night on Earth", but haven't really gotten it played beyond some testing. I really love the photographic artwork, though, which is also why I bought "A Touch of Evil" by the same company.

I've played Zombies a long time ago, but it didn't really appeal to me at the time. I have considered it a couple of times since then, mostly because of some interesting ideas in the expansions.

Another game I own is Zombicide. That one is really more of a light zombie shooting game, but it's fully cooperative, and really love to more all those zombie miniatures around. It's fairly easy to teach as well.

The Mayflower Diaries
Jerin Nekros

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep seeing LNoE on the shelves at my game stores, but I'm also kinda hesitant to grab it. Looks interesting, but not sure if the other people I play with would like it.

Last game I picked up was Gloom. Fun little card game actually.
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerin Nekros wrote:
I keep seeing LNoE on the shelves at my game stores, but I'm also kinda hesitant to grab it. Looks interesting, but not sure if the other people I play with would like it.

That's a very valid concern. I have bought games based on the likelyhood of getting others to play them. Some games in my collection didn't actually appeal to me at first, but I simply thought I could have fun playing them with others.

I have misjudged some games, though. Getting others to play (and like) Arkham Horror was actually quite a surprise to me. I own some "gateway games" as well, which I mostly bought to have some easy to learn games, I could introduce others to.

The Mayflower Diaries
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(( Symphony et al,

Have you tried "Dominion" and its expansions? While it isn't a board game, and it is more on the competitive side, it is a pretty neat deck-building game. ))
Shadow_Twisted
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I might not have much to offer in this field, as I don't regularly play board games. With the way things have gone in my life, I don't exactly have a very extensive group of friends to share such activities with.

One game I recall from my younger years was Key to the Kingdom. You and the other players travel across the board in search of treasures, kept in certain spots on the board and guarded by bosses. There are also hazards across the board that provide special conditions to cross. Your ultimate goal is to get the key to the kingdom and one other treasure and get out. It seemed to really stand out from most of what else I had played at the time, though I'm not sure how I would take to it now.

For Christmas, my dad had gotten me a board game I hadn't even heard of before called Pirate King. The best way I could describe it quickly would be pirate monopoly. There are ports you can buy and fortify, you pickup cannons and crew, all the while running cargo to various ports to get money. Unlike monopoly, if you land on a port owned by another player, you could always lay siege to it in an effort to claim it as your own. As much as I liked the concepts behind the game, it shares one flaw most people already know about with monopoly: it gets repetitive fast and therefore, almost laborious to finish a game.

My final contribution likely doesn't fit into the category of board games, as it is more a tabletop game, and that would be Warhammer 40,000. I played it a few times with cousins and later on got my own army. Likely, the army will be going up for sale as I don't have anyone to play, or even much of a setting for it.
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline wrote:
(( Symphony et al,

Have you tried "Dominion" and its expansions? While it isn't a board game, and it is more on the competitive side, it is a pretty neat deck-building game. ))

I've tried it two times. I found it quite enjoyable, and would certainly be willing to try it again. It was very easy to learn, and I can understand it's popularity. I've only tried the "Intrique" set.
Do you have some favorite expansions for it?

Shadow_Twisted wrote:

One game I recall from my younger years was Key to the Kingdom. You and the other players travel across the board in search of treasures, kept in certain spots on the board and guarded by bosses. There are also hazards across the board that provide special conditions to cross. Your ultimate goal is to get the key to the kingdom and one other treasure and get out. It seemed to really stand out from most of what else I had played at the time, though I'm not sure how I would take to it now.

I had to look that one up:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1933/key-kingdom

BGG is where I do most of my researching.

Shadow_Twisted wrote:

My final contribution likely doesn't fit into the category of board games, as it is more a tabletop game, and that would be Warhammer 40,000. I played it a few times with cousins and later on got my own army. Likely, the army will be going up for sale as I don't have anyone to play, or even much of a setting for it.

Games like that can be difficult to get others to play, but the universe is so cool. There's an upcoming game called "Forbidden Star" by Fantasyflightgames that I'm interested in.

The Mayflower Diaries
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(( Symphony,

Sorry to take so long with the reply. I haven't played all of the Dominion expansions, but the only one that I think didn't quite work was "Alchemy"... and that's mostly because the potion commodity isn't used in any of the other expansions.

I've played with "Intrigue", "Seaside", "Prosperity", "Alchemy", and one other that I forget.

Have you tried, "Guillotine?"

Shadow Twisted,

With all the convulsions going on right now, I haven't really played any 40k or Fantasy in a bit. I haven't even painted anything, as I'm just waiting for all the dust to settle, and see what 9th really is going to be about. ))
Symphony
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caroline wrote:
(( Symphony,

Sorry to take so long with the reply. I haven't played all of the Dominion expansions, but the only one that I think didn't quite work was "Alchemy"... and that's mostly because the potion commodity isn't used in any of the other expansions.

I've played with "Intrigue", "Seaside", "Prosperity", "Alchemy", and one other that I forget.

Have you tried, "Guillotine?"

I am a little tempted to invest in Dominion. It's pretty easy to teach and play, and I just love games with lots of expansions Razz
But I already have more games than I'm getting played Sad

I believe I have read about Guillotine once, but I really don't know anything about it.

The Mayflower Diaries
Caroline
Royal Member of BonBon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(( Symphony,

If you have a college or something near you, you could see if they have a board game night or club or something.

Guillotine is a card-game where you win by collecting the heads of people during the French Revolution. It's, easy to pick up, the art is funny, and its tricky to win. ))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General Forum -> General Discussions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: